Friday, December 17, 2010

Houston Zoo

I felt like next summer would be a great time to bring Leslie to the zoo. She would be old enough to really enjoy it, so that was the plan. Then I found out that till the end of December we would get into the zoo for FREE! Well since it was free we decided that we should go now anyway even if she doesn't quite enjoy it. ( The adult tickets are now $12 a person!)

She got really excited when she discovered she could spin the circles. I think we could have stayed there for a while and she wouldn't have gotten bored at all.

I hate that you can't roatate pictures. She really liked banging on the drum by the elephants. We would have let her play longer but some other little girl took interest so we decided she should have a turn too.

This is an Octlecta. The only native cat to South Texas. This is what we saw on the side of the road on the way to seminary one day. In the middle of the city of Sugar Land, quite unusual.


This was the new exhibit at the Houston Zoo. It opened last Friday when we went. It was really nice but not quite done yet. Within the next year they will be adding hippos and gorillas.

We aren't showing a lot of animal pictures because we figure you have been to the zoo to see them yourself. David liked the fact that the chimp was covered in a blanket.


The new rhino's home.


David by the new giraffe home.


Leslie eventually helped, she was pretty timid at first as you can see in the picture below.For a little while she walked around following one that just kept moving away from her.




She really enjoyed having animals at her own eye level. She would walk from display to display excited to see the new things.


To get to the tubes in the ground hogs exhibit we had to go through a tunnel. Leslie had never been in a tunnel before so I literally had to push her through the whole thing. I was glad she didn't cry. However, when it was time to get out she finally caught on that this was fun and didn't want to leave.





This is where the tunnerl led to. I tried to take a video of Leslie banging on the glass when her dad was holding her but it didn't turn out so well.

She liked how the turkey followed her through the glass.

When we first arrived this was her face. It isn't a I am sad face at all, it's her " I don't know what to make of this" face. she never really smiled and clapped her hands at any of the animals but would just stare, I wonder what she was really thinking.

This is the sea lions and the first animal she saw. It looked like she almost is smiling here.


Overall it was fun. We weren't able to see everything because of time and Leslie was getting SUPER tired and cranky. I am looking forward to next year when we go and she can really enjoy herself.

1 comment:

The Rowes said...

We love the zoo! It looks like you guys had fun. Is the zoo free for everyone for the rest of the year? It would be a good family activity if it was.... there is no way we are paying full price for everyone.