Thursday, October 8, 2009

My First Conference

We made one of the Mormon migrations. It happened to be General Conference weekend and the night of a BYU vs. Utah (Logan) game. We left at 1 pm that day and didn't make it to Springville until 7 pm! It took us two hours from Salt Lake to get down there! We survived though and still were able to make it to the last session at the Provo temple. This was our 11th temple to go inside together. We went with my grandparents which was something I had never done before and with my brother Jason.

The next morning we got up early in order to get a great parking spot and spot in the stand by line for conference tickets. I procrastinated calling our stake to get tickets and they were gone the next week. We arrived at 8:30 in SLC and found a great free parking spot adjacent to the Conference Center. The standby line was already on the other side of the temple and growing. By 9:15 we had our stand by tickets and were up on a balcony of the conference center waiting to be let in. Then a man took our tickets and announced there were 300 people in front of us and we still might not get in and they would lead us to tabernacle in that case. I was starting to get disappointed. Then at 10:05 they were letting us in the very back left on the second floor. At this point I didn't understand if we were going to be realized to find our own seats or how this was going to work. I however got anxious and somehow felt like i was in a race . As they were starting to seat my group they stopped me and told me to wait. Then they had a man escort us to the plaza. I sat 5 rows away from the stand. I sat there for awhile just looking around at all the people around and soaking in everything. The pipes are huge , I kept comparing the choir's heads to the size of the pipes.
This is where we sat! We were so close!
This is my brother Jason and his girlfriend Lochsley.

We decided there was no beating our first seats and that others should have the opportunity to get in. We went to the tabernacle to watch the second session.I ended up seeing one of my friend's dads and after the session went with him to meet up with his family. It was so good to see them.

Jason's birthday was back in September but because my brother has been so social lately we got to be a part of the birthday dinner and enjoy his favorite birthday treat Dirt Pie.

2 comments:

The Rowes said...

That's awesome that you got to sit so close at conference. I've been to the conference center 3 times, but never for conference. Jason's girlfriend is really pretty.

Nettina said...

Conference always feels like that (race-like) that's why Matt and I decided we're probably done going for a long time, it always is VERY stressful getting in/parked/etc, even if you already do have tickets, but it is an awesome experience to see it in person :) I'm glad you guys could make it... why didn't you let us know you were in town?!