Friday, October 9, 2009

Down to Earth

In my family we do not have green thumbs. We kill things. In fact David and I have a plant and if it wasn't for him our "love fern" would have died a long time ago.

However, this year we participated in the married student gardens and I got in this mode canning and being so proud that I can do it. Things are starting to get frozen around here so last week we got an email telling us to pick it green and try to ripen it or its going to die. So at 9 pm last Wednesday there were several of us out in the garden with flashlights going around trying to rescue some produce.
Here are our rescues:
.
We have been sitting them in our windows with the shades open but they aren't much more orange.
These are our VERY green tomatoes, a week later and we only have 3 red ones. I was really hoping to try making home made salsa or tomato sauce. We will have to see if they ripen.
The school has an apple orchard and we love it! Due to our conflicting day time schedules I went without David but with my good friend Kelly. We loved the experience. The school was selling them for $.50 lb which is WAY cheaper than the grocery store and they are so much tastier, especially after the first frost. Our favorite unidentified apple is the mustard colored one on the top. They are pretty small , dirty and ugly looking but amazing tasty! I'll have to figure out what kind they are.
P.S. I have a lot of time in front of the computer lately. This is why I blog about produce.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Yay (sarcastically) for Rexburg winter...I suppose you could paint the pumpkins orange (unless you're going to eat them) Or just keep them green and carve sick jack-o-lanterns...ha ha! I'm impressed with all you guys got.

Amelia said...

I am way impressed that you've been growing things. I too tend to kill plants. Maybe one day you can teach me how to stop doing that, lol.

Nettina said...

If I remember right, put bananas near the tomatoes and they will ripen faster, there is a chemical that they release that interact and will make them ripen faster... I have made the mistake too many times of putting them next to each other and wind up with both over ripe! So that's my suggestion. Awesome though that you could get some produce, I don't think BYU does stuff like that down here, but then again, I guess I haven't looked lol

Jillybean said...

Ha ha... I like the produce update! You are amazing. I don't know how you guys find the time to do all of that :) So fun. I agree those apples are A-MAZ-ING! Wish they were around to pick all year round.