Friday, September 11, 2009

My Practical Homemaking Class

I think my teacher inspired me. I am giddy at the thought of what I can do.

The class is split up into three sections: home decor, basic sewing and cooking. I have home decor first and she told us about simple things we could do to decorate our homes. She also told us we only need one of the two texts listed.( Score ,I thought that's $25 back in my pocket) However, as I looked through the pages of the bigger text I became enthralled with the thought of me using the book to improve my sewing skills. Its a good sized book on how to make anything I could imagine and shows you all the basics with pictures. I might finally be able to put in a zipper perfectly. I also might attempt making shams for our bed and curtains for our windows.

Have you ever opened a book and felt like a new way of life was just shown to you? I did, and I hope I have time and some money to tackle some fun projects. The instructor kept saying over and over if you can sew a straight line you can do a lot of things.(Now I just have to perfect the straight lines, because sometimes that is a problem.)

5 comments:

Megan Busath said...

Kim - that sounds like a really fun class! You'll have to teach me some of your cool new skills - I can't sew anything! But it can't be THAT hard.... right?!

Glad you're finding some enjoyable classes!

Carissa said...

haha I do that all the time. Ryan laughs whenever I find a new crafty website or magazine or something with picture of the next thing I'm dying to create. Love it! That sounds like a really fun class. You'll have to post pictures of all your amazing creations this semester! Have fun!

(and don't tell anyone.... I'm working on my sew-a-straight-line skills too!)

Krystle said...

I totally was thinking about taking that class! My roommate took it and loved it!

Melissa Bowman said...

Good for you! I'm trying to start sewing my own clothes (after I finish my quilt that is). Also, forts are definitely the way to go! Its so much fun! You should try it and let me know how it goes!

Amelia said...

I don't think I'll ever be able to put a zipper in perfectly, lol. I can't wait to see what you make!