Friday, August 14, 2009

Cooke City


My grandparents have a cabin up in Cooke City, MT just outside of Yellowstone. It was a place that I remember going for many family reunions. David and I decided that this summer would be the best time for us to go because we were so close and who knows where we will be next year. Things were a lot slower without a reunion going on. David got sick on Tuesday so it was nice just to take things easy ,relax and look at breath taking views juts outside.

The group outside the cabin.
We were able to go on a drive to some nearby falls. I had actually never been there before but they were super close to the cabin. It was good for us to get out and walk around that day with my grandparents.
David and I both out in Cooke City. We stopped in the Trading Post and bought an ornament for our collection. Then we stopped in the Beartooth Cafe to visit my cousin who was hosting.



The Yellowstone Adventure
I think I saw a bear but it was only the back. It was small and very round looking and brown. I wouldn't have noticed it except that there was a couple taking pictures of something in the woods. And Dad it was much bigger than a beaver.

We saw a lot of buffalo on our trip. We never got out of our cars fearing for our lives but we got relatively close to a bunch.
There was a huge fire in Yellowstone in 1988(the year I was born). David couldn't get over how dead some of the mountains were because of it.
This is us by the Lower Falls near Canyon Village.
Dragons Mouth: This mud pit never stopped moving it was really like there was a dragon breathing out of the cave.
We stopped and had a picnic lunch at the side of Yellowstone Lake.
David looks a little stiff huh?
Paint Pots
Us in front of Old Faithful at 5:39 like they predicted!
This was a geyser basin if I am correct. We didn't capture all the colors in the water. It was a sight to see though.
Geysers
We saw a lot of Geysers.

This pronghorn deer ran right in front of our car while we were trying to re-enter the park after the getting into Gardiner and finding we went the wrong way.
If you want to see Elk I recommend going to the North entrance of the park by Gardiner. We saw a small herd and there were signs everywhere about not getting too close. So I am guessing that they frequent the area quite a bit.


We left the cabin around 11:30 and did not make it to West Yellowstone until about 7:30. We were pretty tired but wanted something hot to eat. We had tickets to the Playmill 's Production of Guys and Dolls at 8:30p. After walking around and realizing our show started REALLY SOON we decided on a small shop and split a BUFFALO BURGER. It was different, you bite into it and its not a hamburger. I don't know that I will get one again but now I can say I tried it. The show was good. It was just a long drive home afterwards , we didn't get home until 12:30p a.m.

2 comments:

LeaDawn said...

Looks fun! Thanks for comming and playing with Daniel. He likes to know he has friends. :D haha

Andrew and Collette said...

Looks like you had fun in Yellowstone. We were in Rexburg last week, we saw David ride his bike past my parent's house.