Anyhow, we had our Blue and Gold Banquet two weeks ago. I guess we never mentioned it to some, but David is CubMaster and I am the Bear Den Leader. We have a small group so we meet with the other ward in our building for more numbers. Anyway with David traveling and the other den leader having a baby I was kept quite busy with preparing for this event. I was not super good at delegating either because I did so many small things and felt ridiculous asking someone to do it for me. We were also on a super tight budget. I had not seen a copy of our budget until the end of January and was shocked at what we had left till May when we hold our cake auction.So we made everything out of things we could borrow, or find around the house or scout closet.
The Chuckwagon Ettiquette poster telling you to not talk with your mouth food, leave food for others and various other manners. I thought it was darker than it really was. I don't think many people actually read this poster but I know one person did because they made reference to the rules later in the evening about the food being clean when I found Leslie eating cake off the floor.
These Wanted Posters turned into a nightmare. We started making them that afternoon and when we went to print they would only print a corner of each one! AHHHHH!!! So after two hours I settled with these because it was the best we could do. They had the boys pictures on it and said "Wanted To Be An Eagle Scout".
These are some of our charming cubs. They were good sports for the night, they told thier dorky cowboy jokes that were corny funny( most of them the kids didn't get) they helped with the audience participation games and they finished their vests!
These bowling pins were in the closet from the 90's. I found the blue felt in the closet and the yellow rick rack (perfect for our budget,plus the kids really liked them most of them ended up going home with kids), I made the bandanas on the cowboys from scrap material in my mom's craft room. All the bandanas were heaven sent to us from the YW and their leaders. They bought red ones for thier fundraiser so that we could borrow them afterwards. How great are they?:). Plus another leader had a bag of over 20 of various designs. We used cowboy qoutes on the table on the brown cards and crayon holders out of paper, duct tape and recycled cans. Not shown is the 60 activity books I put together for the kids to be entertained during slow moments.
Since we were cowboys we had a corral. I had a friend help me make these during our blackout at work. We had the boys bring the animals to be fenced in because cowboys need livestock of course. We also made a wagon wheel and catcus out of cardboard.
My dad finally fixed the advancement holder(?) which was great.
We used some rope we found in the closet to decorate the stage, I borrowed a friends real little catcus for decoration and found that cute metal tub at good will and spray painted it, so now it is in Leslie's room holding some stuffed animals.
We had a smaller turn out than expected but I think we still had a good time. Because of our limited budget and we decided to try something David had done in his previous ward for years. We practiced BYOD(bring your own dishes). We figured we would save some money and it would tie into this month's theme of resourcefulness. However,we learned that night that not everyone reads those little fliers(at least past the date and time) we handed to each scout parent personally, luckily we had extra dishes for those who didn't get the memo.
I was so excited to use my Texas cake pan that I went a little crazy. I made six cakes and they were all two layered (2 Chocolate which went by fast, 2 Lemon and 2 FunFetti). That means I baked 12 seperate layers of cake.
For our game we played Bow Legged Cowboy. The kids had fun but apparently our old sleeping bags were just a little bit too big for this age group. When I asked the kids what they did and did not like about the Blue and Gold one child's response was " I didn't like the game, it was so embarassing having everyone watch you". I thought it was so funny because that was everyone else's favorite part.
This beautiful sideways photo is of our "Live Stock Art Show". We had a contest for the kids to draw the best cowboy scene or picture of animals. The older siblings won, but I think it was good for them to have an activity to entertain them. We had a member of each bishopric to be our judges.
Our Judges
Since none of you have seen a picture of us in our ADORABLE uniforms we don weekly, here is a peak.
No comments:
Post a Comment